[ NNSquad ] Re: Canada goes crazy

As has already been pointed out, there is no convenient analog for
what we are purchasing when we buy internet access, so it's hard to
determine what a truly fair pricing model would be.  I think the chief
difficulty is that although no resources are consumed when the network
is used, there is still scarcity in how much network capacity exists
at a given time.

In most cases, ordinary users don't experience bandwidth scarcity any
more than they experience scarcity in electricity or water, despite
the fact that all these systems have limited instantaneous capacity.
An ordinary homeowner can turn on every light and open every faucet in
their house, and they're not likely to see any substantial dimming of
bulbs or loss of water pressure.  In order to maintain this illusion
of unlimited capacity, providers must continually forecast expected
loads, and where necessary, upgrade their network to raise the
congestion ceiling.  Because these upgrades are driven by the behavior
of the heaviest users during times of peak congestion, it is fair to
expect those users to be the ones to pay the greatest share of the
upgrade cost.

One reasonable model for this type of scaled billing is that used by
the natural gas utility here in Atlanta.  Each user's bill lists a
"Base Rate" fee, which includes a "Peaking Service" charge, which is
calculated annually based on how much gas a customer used during times
of peak demand.  This allows the gas company to insure that enough
capacity is available at those peak demand times, and forces the users
most responsible for necessitating upgrades to pay for the costs of
those upgrades.  A similar billing model for internet connectivity
would allow service providers to penalize users who cause the most
disruption to the network without imposing limits on how much data can
be transferred, or with whom, or in what way.

I'd appreciate hearing thoughts anyone might have about this approach.
 Does this seem fair?  Is it practical?  Has it already been
implemented anywhere?

--
Peter Sahlstrom
peter@stormlash.net