[ NNSquad ] Re: [Canada goes crazy

Speaking as a Canadian the last thing we need is to measure the net in bits and bytes.

I've been warning people for years the Internet is crap. Yes yes it's got it's high points ... but ... it's dangerous.

Now no one took my warnings seriously and today we are a society dependent on a flaky technology thats easy to hack. Example ... the Beijing I root server which I think is till offline.

Now - since you are now a society dependent on this technology - should you not get the best. I agree with many that the Internet has become a right. Society has become dependent on it and to deny anyone access is a wrong. Some European countries have recognized this principle.

To get the most out of the Internet increased speeds are essential. Vint has addressed that on more then one occasion. 1G speeds should be the norm - not the exception. If you want to advance this society and get the most out of the Internet you need speed to breed innovation.

Government should make fiber a basic service to the office and the home.

But what we have now in Canada is primitive to the core. Copper or cable and a very limited selection of ISPs. And that is basically the same in the USA. As our European and Asian cousins surpass us in speed and cheaper rates - we here in North America where the Internet was born are becoming technological hillbillies.

regards
joe baptista