[ NNSquad ] Re: re US: Hollywood can disable TV set features

The FCC has decided to just turn the Internet into the
Incumbent-net, and now it's trying to enact copyright policy.
Again.  Why does the FCC get to do it this time, after the
drubbing they received on the broadcast flag?  What, because this
administration is beholden to MPAA and the incumbents and so we
just have to deal?

Seth Johnson

   [ There's more here than meets the eye.  The MPAA, et al. know that
     high quality leaked digital copies of films are impossible to
     stop.  After all, it takes only a *single* good copy that
     jailbreaks from DRM to create the source for limitless other
     copies.  And in fact, the typical source for quality pirate
     film copies is unrelated to the consumer distribution/DRM chain
     at all -- the leaks typically occur from *within* the production
     chain itself.  So this is all a genuine case of Whac-A-Mole.

     What's *really* going on is largely a frontal attack on
     theater owners, and the newly authorized "first run" window
     with disabled high-quality analog outputs is primarily
     a means to enable these actions.

     That's my opinion, anyway.  I won't speculate (here) on why
     the FCC is going along with this.