[ NNSquad ] "Titans clash in the cloud"

"Titans clash in the cloud"

http://bit.ly/cmsfod  (Good Morning Silicon Valley)

This story includes links regarding delays in the Google Apps
transition for City of L.A., and the new WSJ story on Google and
Microsoft in competition for a major GSA e-mail contract.

The Wall Street Journal story may be readable in its entirely by using
this Google News search:

http://bit.ly/dkoTOb  (Google News)

and then selecting the WSJ story link (currently among the top links
returned for the search).  Direct full access to the story may be otherwise
blocked in some cases to many non-subscribers of WSJ by their paywall.

Nobody -- including me -- ever said that cloud-based services were
a panacea for every computing problem, but neither do knee-jerk "I'll
never trust the cloud" reactions make sense either.

In "Trusting Your Friends -- and Trusting the Cloud"
( http://bit.ly/bpW6pQ [Lauren's Blog] ) I explicitly noted that there
were many factors to consider when evaluating cloud services -- and
obviously this includes whether use of such services is appropriate in
any given situation.  I also said:

  "The future of computing and communications will increasingly be
   Internet cloud-based.  There is no escaping this truth.  The
   complexity of the services that will be demanded by persons around
   the world will increasingly be impractical to provide wholly
   through traditional locally-based resources."

I firmly believe this to be true.