[ NNSquad ] Re: Sen. Franken to the Netroots: Only You Can Stop the Corporate Takeover of Free Speech

Network neutrality advocates insist their proposed regulations don't affect "The Internet," but only the broadband networks which, in their view, provide access to "The Internet." If we take them at their word, then it follows that indeed net neutrality regulations only cover private commercial arrangements between consumers of broadband services and providers of broadband services. The currently hot item in the debate, according to Free Press, is whether broadband providers may offer premium Quality of Service delivery services for sale on non-discriminatory terms. The argument against this is on the Cnet site today, http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20011565-38.html.

All communications infrastructure has a quasi-public nature, whether it's IP, broadcast TV, or radio, and for that reason it's all regulated. That doesn't bring the First Amendment into the picture, however; it involves the Communications Act, the Commerce Clause, and anti-trust law. The use of the First Amendment doesn't advance the debate.

RB