[ NNSquad ] Re: Certified Lies: Detecting and Defeating Government Interception Attacks Against SSL

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:08:24 -0400
From: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Subject: Re: [ NNSquad ] Certified Lies: Detecting and Defeating Government
	Interception Attacks Against SSL

Hey Lauren,

A few of us have been working on this in the past few months. The fact
that DNSSEC is finally getting traction and that the root is now
signed allows us to leverage the DNSSEC trust anchor as a trust anchor
for TLS.

The very very high level view is that you publish a fingerprint (or
the key itself) in the DNS, and validate the DNSSEC signing when it
gets used. This allows the use of either CA or self-signed certs, and
validates that the key received is the correct one for the site --
this also prevents the MITM hijacking attacks described in the paper
you referenced

We held an informal BOF at the last IETF (IETF78 in Maastricht) and a
bunch of folk showed strong interest in working on this (and possibly
forming a Working Group). There are a few approaches, one of which is
detailed in
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hoffman-keys-linkage-from-dns/
[0]. There are numerous other approaches from bright, well respected
members of the community as well, and I'm sure we will see more
proposals soon.

[0]: Full disclosure - myself and Adam Langley (also from Google) are
co-authors on this.