From: nnsquad-bounces+nnsquad=bobf.frankston.com@nnsquad.org
[mailto:nnsquad-bounces+nnsquad=bobf.frankston.com@nnsquad.org] On Behalf Of
Richard Bennett
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2010 15:59
To: Lauren Weinstein
Cc: George Ou; nnsquad@nnsquad.org; 'Vint Cerf'
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: Irish Times: "A modest proposal on internet
neutrality"

  RFC 2475 is an architecture document that was written to explain the
thinking behind the standards track RFC 2474, the RFC that defined the use of
the DSCP field. Architecture documents are always informational, so there's no
knock on it for that.

QoS is implemented at Layers 1 and 2; the mechanisms above Layer 2 that relate
to QoS tend to deal with means by which the applications specify their desired
QoS from Layer 2 rather than with the implementation. QoS for Internet
protocols is simply a question of whether IP should utilize the QoS that Layer
2 implements. IP engineers therefore don't need to know much about QoS; IP is
essentially a consumer of the network services provided by Layer 2.

Having worked in Layer 2 networking since before the Internet was designed, I
can tell you that QoS is not a controversial feature in that field, and that
there's always been a lot of head-scratching among network engineers about the
reluctance of internetwork engineers to use the features that networks
provide. The discussion of QoS among internetwork engineers, especially those
whose familiarity goes back to the ARPANET days tend to be of a more hand-wavy
nature than it is among the people who design, model, and implement the QoS
control mechanisms in Layer 2 networks, but it's a different discussion. Layer
2 QoS engineers are solving an engineering problem, while Layer 3 people are
consumers making a buy-or-don't-buy decision.

Layer 2 deals with issues on a very different time scale than Layer 3 does.
Prioritization as a form of QoS is typically managed across congestion periods
of less than 1 second. It doesn't address the problem of chronic under
provisioning, but it does address TCP's aggressive behavior in terms of
constantly seeking to consume all available bandwidth. Regardless of the
amount of bandwidth provisioned, when most flows are governed by TCP, the
network will oscillate between periods of light use and overload. This is
baked-in to the TCP metrics, and DiffServ is simply a means by which real-time
applications can succeed in the face of it.

Fred Baker tells a story about a network segment that Bell South used to
operate. The admins noticed 25% packet loss on the segment, so they upgraded
it from OC-3 to OC-12. That's a 4 x increase in bandwidth. What do you suppose
happened to the network? Packet loss declined, but not all the way to 0: they
still about 5 percent. That's TCP for you, it wants to get all the bandwidth
that's available, even though its applications are flexible in terms of their
completion time.

Internets of the future need to accommodate diverse and heterogeneous
applications. Layer 2 networks are constantly tweaked, tuned, and provisioned
for the application mix. This isn't evil, it's network engineering.

Let network engineers do their jobs, with appropriate oversight, and consumers
will benefit.

RB

--
Richard Bennett