[ NNSquad ] Competition vs. Net Neutrality

Competition vs. Net Neutrality

In today's New York Times, Eric Pfanner suggests, in essence, that
vibrant broadband competition can obviate the need for Net Neutrality
per se.  ( http://bit.ly/9wxdOF ).

I'm scratching my head a bit -- where has Pfanner been all this time?

In fact, it's basically axiomatic that widespread, *effective*
competition -- of the sort that dominant ISPs have actively *battled
against* in the U.S. for many years -- could minimize or perhaps even
eliminate most net neutrality concerns.

But the history of the U.S. Internet includes such examples as ISPs
cherry-picking deployments -- note that Verizon has now essentially
ceased new geographical deployment of FiOS, explicitly saying that
they will now concentrate on increasing market share in existing or
already planned FiOS areas.  This may be an entirely rational business
decision on Verizon's part, but does nothing to help get fiber to
currently unserved areas.

Other examples include ISP promises made to states or local
governments for high speed deployments in exchange for legislative
protection against municipally-owned Internet systems -- ISP
deployments that often never appeared.  Yet the same ISPs still
proclaim that municipal systems would be unfair competition.

Few would argue against the proposition that effective competition of
the sort available in other parts of the world -- and that means
competitive in terms of performance and price, not just "simple"
availability -- could render many net neutrality-related concerns
moot.

But we're seeing consolidation in the U.S. ISP market in terms of
major players, not the sort of competitive expansion that would be
useful to most consumers.  The Google fiber project will no doubt
demonstrate technical feasibility, but getting from there to
widespread deployments beyond relatively small test beds is an
entirely different exercise.

Also -- and not mentioned by Pfanner, the competition available in
other parts of the world has in large part been enabled by direct
government involvement, either in terms of basic broadband
infrastructures or requirements for sharing of physical Internet
access resources by competitors.  These are both concepts that appear
to be anathema to many in Congress and that trigger bogus (and well
orchestrated, mostly "astroturf") screams of "government takeover of
the Net!" or "government censorship of the Net!" whenever proposed.

So it's not a question of whether or not we need real competition.  We do.

The question is, how are we going to *get* it?