[ NNSquad ] Re: Competition vs. Net Neutrality

  Right, in the overall arc of regulatory history, net neutrality is
supposed to be a reaction to the ending of the unbundled access
requirement that was once imposed on DSL operators. Once upon a time,
DSL was a Title II service, but it was brought under Title I in 2005 for
consistency with cable Internet. Net neutrality regulationists have said
all along that an ISP who depends on wholesale access to DSL or cable
modem should be exempt from net neutrality laws because competition
would discipline their behavior, for example.

It turns out they didn't mean it, however. Mobile Internet access is a
competitive market, in which there are 4 (5 counting Clearwire) national
networks, a number of regional networks, and a number of MVNO
over-the-top networks that lease access from the majors. In most
American cities, you have 7 or more choices for mobile networking. The
presence of this level of competition for mobile networking services is
the reason that mobile data is largely unregulated, both here and in
other developed nations. As the op-ed says, Europe believes mobile is
sufficiently competitive that it need not have any open access,
non-discrimination, or unbundling regulations. The US mobile market is
more competitive than the European market, by HHI analysis.

So why are the net neutrality advocates screaming like stuck pigs over
the agreement between Google and Verizon that mobile doesn't need a
non-discrimination rule, only a transparency rule?

I have my suspicions, but tell me: Why isn't effective competition
enough to make non-discrimination rules moot for mobile broadband?

RB

  [ I can't (or at least won't) address the motives of the net
    neutrality advocates screaming about the Google/Verizon proposal,
    since I'm not one of the screaming contigent (however, I'm getting
    screamed *at* plenty due to the fact that I didn't join the
    screamers, if that makes any sense ...)

    But I do have some concerns about the wireless component of
    the proposal.  Wireless is evolving very rapidly, and we're
    told that sometime soon it may largely displace terrestrial
    Internet for most users.  Believe that or don't, your choice.
    Right now most available cellular wireless services make a relatively
    poor substitute for all but the lowest grade tiers of wireline
    broadband services.  This will change over time, to some
    considerable extent, at least.

    So an issue is whether or not the regulatory apparatus put in
    place to monitor the evolution of wireless will really be adequate
    to impose changes when those changes are deemed necessary, or will
    any such moves trigger endless litigation while associated
    potential future problems continue unabated?  In other words,
    without adequate mechanisms to watch for changing conditions in
    the wireless marketplace, conditions that really do need
    intervention might continue for prolonged periods due to arguing
    at the regulatory level later on.  So the protective portion of the
    plan really needs to have some teeth if is going to be anything
    other than lip service.

    Also, there are already some unreasonable restrictions on wireless
    services that should be addressed right now.  Server and telemetry
    prohibitions in the absence of traffic-related abuse are but one
    example.  I would apply the same to wireline services by the way.
    It is unjustifiable to tell consumers that they can't run their
    own well-behaved servers that do not unduly stress the network.  Too
    often these restrictions are primarily an upsell technique (to business
    class, more expensive services), not a technical requirement.

    Attempts to declare that wireline and wireless should be treated
    in exactly the same manner seem to ignore basic realities.
    However, the devil is really in the details in terms of framing
    reasonable regulatory approaches suitable for each environment.

--
Richard Bennett
Senior Research Fellow