[ NNSquad ] Re: Additional or differentiated services (QoS as an expensive option)

(I can understand George's frustration
(http://www.nnsquad.org/archives/nnsquad/msg04160.html) and in resorting the
ad homimen rants when the facts fail to support his arguments but I ask him to
please stop because it reflects badly on him and makes it difficult to have a
rational discussion.)

The QoS issue is subtle.

This is why refer to best efforts as a constraint because it's very easy to
decide you must have QoS in order to do a task. It's only when you are forced
to that you get creative but the key is that you are not solving the problem
as stated. For example you may have test gear that assures that you preserve
the exact sound waves but what is needed for a phone conversation is the
ability to understand what the other person is saying which is very different.

MP3(r) is an example of this in using an acoustic model to determine how it
can compress music.

Thus a VoIP stream can be lower quality by some measures but sound better or
it can be far less expensive and still be acceptable. What is important is
that you get to make the tradeoffs. What is confusing is that, in practice,
the quality is often far better than the traditional telephony because QoS is
an upper bound more than it is a lower bound so we assume there is QoS. But
you can't get more than 56Kbps with the US phone system and you often get far
less. QoS came from an attempt to see how little you can get away with not to
see how much quality you can provide.

The danger of QoS comes in depending on QoS. Thus if you assume you have a
certain QoS along the path, such as 56Kbps and depend on it you'll get
dropouts and failures if you get less quality. In practice for voice service
the analog systems degrade smoothly. Not so digital systems.

This is why my VoD IP-based video from Verizon's FiOS degrades ungracefully.
This is also true for their channel 0690 which has digital rather than analog
decoding problems.

The other point is the we find solutions that correspond to what is available.
If we have very inexpensive best efforts path and an expensive QoS path then
the innovation will tend to go where there is least resistance and you
discover that you don't really need to pay extra for the QoS path. That's why
the PSTN is migrating to IP.

This is also why it is more than naïve to talk about "end-to-end cargo cult
advocates" as George does. That's imply ignorance. QoS is always an option but
it may be a very expensive option because you need to control or own the
entire path. It's the market not any doctrine that has made QoS-dependency the
exception and made it so expensive.

So to answer Peter's question it's not so much whether QoS is required but
whether it is required to be required and the answer to for that is that it is
rarely required and those who choose dependency should bear the costs and let
the rest of us get the advantages of best efforts. The surprise is that by
accepting that constraint we've become stronger and escape from QoS as an
upper bound.

(see http://rmf.vc/?n=IPPvD and http://rmf.vc/?n=UAC#BestEfforts for a more
extended discussion).