[ NNSquad ] Re: NAB is serious about mandating FM radios in every cell phone

At 10:46 26/08/2010, you wrote:
In Europe there is a very strong movement to replace FM with DAB (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting). There are already some pilots in Spain, which btw, has shut down its public broadcast analog TV signals and replaced it with digital TV broadcast early this year (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_Spain>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_Spain).

Well the UK has moved backwards from digital radio adoption and the analogue fm switch off
with the previous target date of 2015 now seen as very unlikely with the change of government
here.

I did not know that Spain had some digital radio plans, as I remember it only Finland( or another
Scandinavian country) had DAB while Germany has dab+ which is an incompatible but superior
system that sadly the BBC have deemed we cannot have it.

I think that (unfortunately) this will also happen to FM, as the urge to clear/clean/free the radio spectrum has not disappeared from legislators at the EU (apart from several other motivations, the need to sell more wavelength licences, along with the fact that it is easier to monitor and control digital contents when compared to analog, are the two key motivators, IMHO).

I very much doubt it will happen for a long time since only 1% of new cars in the uk
have digital radios fitted and that is their biggest market for listeners.

Martin N

Running MorphOS v2.4 on Mac Mini, Moderator of MiniDisc,amithlonopen,bwfc Yahoogroups