[ NNSquad ] Google announces a white spaces trial -- (and a reality check from me)

Google announces a white spaces trial -- (and a reality check from me)

Google has announced a new white spaces trial: http://bit.ly/c5Zc6o

White spaces spectrum usage has a great deal of potential, and the
upcoming FCC rules likely to formalize their availability are much
anticipated (whether or not there will be litigation over any aspects
of those rules is still an open question).

However, one important reality check.  In metro areas in particular
spectrum congestion is so thick that most potential channels are
unavailable for white space use. For example, checking at my location
here in L.A., I find that only three channels are potentially
available for fixed installations, and *no* channels are available for
portable use at the 100mw level (and only two at 40mw).  This is
better than nothing, but white spaces will likely be of far more use
outside of major population centers.  In general the white space
availability chart for L.A. is almost entirely red "X" marks,
unfortunately.