[ NNSquad ] Re: Google announces a white spaces trial -- (and a reality check from me)

I'm still concerned about all this emphasis on "whitespace" and no effort to
take advantage of the far great amount of unused space on the fibers and
wires around us that is behind the myriad of access points all around us.
How much impact will "whitespace" have compared with making that capacity
available?

http://rmf.vc/?n=SpectrumDIrt for more on removing the distinction between
wired and wireless bits.

Removing artificial barriers to the use of "wireless" is good but let's keep
it in perspective.

   [ One big advantage of wireless is that "the air" doesn't require
     ongoing physical maintenance.  All you need are the terminals.
     Physical plant like fiber and copper are a completely different
     matter (and I'm unconvinced that there is much available unused
     local access fiber just laying around idle where it's needed.
     There's lots of dark longer-haul fiber, but local access is the
     major problem.)  And any emphasis on copper at this stage is a
     fool's game.  Existing copper plant is rotting away and nobody
     wants to deal with it any longer than they have to (and I'll
     include AT&T/U-verse in that category).  And without a lot of
     expensive fiber-fed remote terminals and often considerable
     "conditioning," much of the copper out there is unsuitable for
     other than comparatively low speeds (and that's assuming you're
     close enough to the CO ...)