[ NNSquad ] Bulletin: Domain Exploitation Society Celebrates "Swinging" New Top-Level Domains

                Bulletin: Domain Exploitation Society Celebrates
                       "Swinging" New Top-Level Domains

                  http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000780.html

Frostbite Falls, Minn. (ZAP) -- The Minnesota-based Society for
Leveraged Internet Mercenary Exploitation Domains (SLIMED) expressed
enthusiastic satisfaction with leading domain registrar Go Daddy's
decision to feature the new ".co" [sic] Top-Level Domain (TLD) as the
default on its home page ( http://www.godaddy.com ) today,
reducing to "trash" status the old, obsolete, useless, silly, obscene,
disgraceful, painful, purulent, and less expensive ".com" TLD that all
consumers already understand.

"This decision by Go Daddy to emphasize .co [sic] signals the real
beginning of the TLD gold rush -- with literally thousands of new TLDs
promised over the next few years by Internet Control Authorities,"
said Boris Puteo, SLIMED media affairs and financial director, at an
interview today during a celebratory gala at the ultra-exclusive
"Masa" restaurant in New York City.

"TLDs are like gold," said Puteo, "even better than gold in fact,
since you can't force people to buy bullion, but you've got everyone
over a barrel when it comes to protective domain registrations!"

Puteo refuted claims that the coming deluge of new TLDs will carry
enormous costs and confuse consumers, while opening avenues for vast
numbers of new phishing scams and spam attacks, without bringing any
real positive value to ordinary Internet users.

"If people can't figure out the difference between .co [sic] and .com,
they're just, well, sic [sic!] in the head.  Why can't these bleeding
heart, pencil-necked geeks stop rocking the boat
( http://bit.ly/dh6zOf [Lauren's Blog] ) and just get back into their
cubicles and their damned programming -- oh excuuuse me, I mean
"softwaaare engineeeering!" said Mr. Puteo, "Just leave the moola
magic to us!"

SLIMED's Puteo also noted that an illuminating and very short new
YouTube video ( http://bit.ly/yt-tld-process ) was now available for
viewing -- showing the Top-Level Domain consideration procedure in
action, and incontrovertibly demonstrating the complex, serious,
lucid, and deliberative process involved in TLD approvals.

"Top-Level Domains really swing!  And while I probably shouldn't be
telling you this yet, SLIMED is hoping to make a deal with Burundi so
that we can sell ".bi" TLD domains to everyone who swings both ways!
God, I love the Internet!" Puteo added.

Lauren Weinstein (lauren@vortex.com)
http://www.vortex.com/lauren
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR (People For Internet Responsibility): http://www.pfir.org
Founder, NNSquad (Network Neutrality Squad): http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP (Global Coalition for Transparent Internet Performance):
   http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum: http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Google Buzz: http://bit.ly/lauren-buzz