[ NNSquad ] Re: If this had been an actual emergency ...

I agree that we don't want to be simplistic. It's just that today we have
the extreme of cloud dependency.

Maps are good example -- you don't need to have all the rich information
locally but I would like say as to what is available. This is why I try to
avoid the term cache which implicitly implies implicit but prefer to manage
availability. Emergency workers will need much more information for example
though, perhaps, we all need to be ready just in case.

It's not just the map data -- it's connectivity. If there is a disaster I
want peer protocols that allow us to communicate without depending on
servers far away or even a local cell tower. Our phones are loaded with
radios -- even FM receivers but they can't easily talk to each other without
special hacks. You can't just tell the voice and SMS traffic to relay. Voice
might be problematic but certainly messaging should be able to continue to
work as long as there is any path available even if 100 hops.

GPS too is a problem in that it is now totally dependent upon satellites.
Skyhook Wireless, Google and others are developing backup databases of
alternate sources such as MAC addresses and cellular towers.

There are all these hacks but we lack the coherent architecture vision
beyond today's Internet.

  [ Having spent a lot of time working with radios both professionally
    and as a Ham, I continue to be dubious re multihop communications
    scenarios such as you outline, for a variety of reliability and
    other reasons.  That said, the ability to switch cell phones into
    a "point to point walkie-talkie mode" between multiple cooperating
    units could have significant utility in emergency situations.

    As for Google and others building up databases of MAC addresses, etc.
    for backup comm purposes -- you're well familiar with the thanks
    Google got for that -- a pile of misguided lawsuits/complaints
    claiming they were purposely spying on Wi-Fi users.  Good deeds
    getting punished, as usual.