[ NNSquad ] Steven Bellovin: Comments on the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace

Steven Bellovin: Comments on the National Strategy
for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace

http://bit.ly/gRs9tC  (SMBlog - 11 July 2010)

   "However, I fear it will be a large effort that will do little, and
    will pose a threat to our privacy."

  - - -

Lauren's addendum:

By the way, a Congressional staffer who contacts me on privacy issues
from time to time, sent me a note a few days ago regarding NSTIC.  He
said "his boss" is all excited about the NSTIC initiative, because he
hopes it will finally give Congress a way to impose age-based access
controls (my term: "censorship") on Web sites.  The theory:
NSTIC-based credentials would provide a way to verify the age of
users, and pressure on sites would quickly lead to their requiring
NSTIC authentication.  (Remember, NSTIC proponents claim the
*government* won't require NSTIC credentials, but any given Web site
could!)

More on this later.

Ref: Obama's "Trusted Internet ID" Scheme Announcements: Reading
Between the Lines ( http://bit.ly/hW9w5y [Google Buzz] )

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein (lauren@vortex.com)
http://www.vortex.com/lauren
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR (People For Internet Responsibility): http://www.pfir.org
Founder, NNSquad (Network Neutrality Squad): http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP (Global Coalition for Transparent Internet Performance):
   http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum: http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Google Buzz: http://bit.ly/lauren-buzz