[ NNSquad ] Certified Lies: Detecting and Defeating Government Interception Attacks Against SSL

Certified Lies: Detecting and Defeating Government Interception
Attacks Against SSL

http://bit.ly/fdA1Nb  (Cryptogon)

"This paper introduces the compelled certificate creation attack, in
 which government agencies may compel a certificate authority to issue
 false SSL certificates that can be used by intelligence agencies to
 covertly intercept and hijack individuals' secure Web-based
 communications. Although we do not have direct evidence that this form
 of active surveillance is taking place in the wild, we show how
 products already on the market are geared and marketed towards this
 kind of use-suggesting such attacks may occur in the future, if they
 are not already occurring. Finally, we introduce a lightweight browser
 add-on that detects and thwarts such attacks."

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google Buzz: http://bit.ly/lauren-buzz
Quora: http://www.quora.com/Lauren-Weinstein