[ NNSquad ] Re: Certified Lies: Detecting and Defeating Government Interception Attacks Against SSL

On Jan 31, 2011, at 7:45 PM, Lauren Weinstein wrote:

> Certified Lies: Detecting and Defeating Government Interception
> Attacks Against SSL
>
> http://bit.ly/fdA1Nb  (Cryptogon)

Yup...

Compromised, accidental, tricked, malicious and compelled CAs are
included in the things that the DANE (nee KIDNS nee KeyAssure) IETF WG
is working to address ( charter here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dane/charter/ )

The very very high level overview is that an end user generates their
own (self-signed) certificate, or gets a CA issues cert, and publishes
a means of identifying that certificate in the DNS, signed with
DNSSEC. When a relying party comes to use the certificate, they
perform DNSSEC validation to ensure that the certificate they have
received is the one intended. If their has been some malfeasance
either the certificate fingerprint will not match, or the DNSSEC
validation will fail...  [ Description horribly oversimplified ]

   [ Of course, currently most browsers make using self-signed
     certs a royal pain -- by doing everything possible to
     scare users into not accepting them.  I've addressed this
     a number of times, including in:

     Firefox 3's Step Backwards For Self-Signed Certificates
     http://bit.ly/b4LgFc  (Lauren's Blog)

     Firefox makes you click through a bunch of alarming hoops to
     accept an SS cert, but ultimately allows you to save it for
     future use.  Chrome also puts up an alarming message, but allows
     to accept the cert with a single click.  However, it provides no
     simple mechanism to save that cert for the future.

     I am, as you might imagine, not enthusiastic about adding
     additional functionality to DNS, given that I really am very much
     dedicated to helping DNS ultimately wither away, through the
     deployment of alternative name/address mechanisms, such as IDONS.