[ NNSquad ] Kazakhstan orders Google to operate google.kz on physical servers inside the country

Kazakhstan orders Google to operate google.kz on physical servers
inside the country
http://j.mp/lRns47  (This message on Google Buzz)

 - - -

http://j.mp/iF2eUw  (Google Public Policy Blog)

     "We find ourselves in a difficult situation: creating borders on the
      web raises important questions for us not only about network
      efficiency but also about user privacy and free expression. If we were
      to operate google.kz only via servers located inside Kazakhstan, we
      would be helping to create a fractured Internet. So we have decided to
      redirect users that visit google.kz to google.com in Kazakh."

  - - -

Kazakhstan's demand is unreasonable from both technical and public
policy standpoints, as far as I'm concerned.  Google's response is
utterly appropriate and clearly the best available choice to serve
users in Kazakhstan under these conditions.

However, it seems reasonable to assume that the Kazakhstan
government's motivations for such an order -- that would have given
them physical access to Google server infrastructure -- may not be
indefinitely mollified by this approach, which does not permit that
government the "hands on" access to surveil and control user data
that, one suspects at least, may represent a significant aspect of the
related authorities' underlying agendas.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google Buzz: http://j.mp/laurenbuzz