[ NNSquad ] Commerce Dept. releases major "Cybersecurity, Innovation, and the Internet Economy" report

Commerce Dept. releases major "Cybersecurity, Innovation, and the
Internet Economy" report
http://j.mp/kJfhl8  (This message in Google Buzz)

 - - -

As promised, the U.S. Commerce Department has released their
"Cybersecurity, Innovation, and the Internet Economy" Report that I
mentioned yesterday.

The announced conference call that was planned to discuss and handle
Q&A related to the report was cancelled this morning (no reason given),
but apparently will be rescheduled.

The full report (77 pages, PDF) is at:

http://j.mp/m4qPsx  (NIST)

Summary page (HTML) is here:

http://j.mp/jQDH45  (Commerce)

I would initially tend to characterize the report as largely
noncontroversial in most aspects, with one notable exception.  In many
ways it's something of a "potpourri" wish list for cybersecurity
research, threat sharing and analysis, and other concerns that are
already the focus of major work by various stakeholders in the
Internet community for many years.

I sense that there may have been an explicit desire to keep this
report from becoming a flash point for certain controversial topics.
For example, the word "piracy" apparently does not appear anywhere in
the text.  The phrase "intellectual property" (or "IP" in that
context) has only around five appearances that I counted.

On the other hand, the report predictably attempts to promote the
administration's highly controversial "NSTIC Identity Ecosystem" for
government-linked credentials, that would increasingly be required for
access to Internet-based systems under that proposal.

While I continue to believe that most proponents of NSTIC have
laudable motives, I also strongly feel that the negative risks of the
proposal -- at least in its current form -- far outweigh potential
benefits, see:  http://j.mp/epfJcK (Lauren's Blog) for more on this.

Today's report from Commerce is definitely worth reading in its
entirety, even if it doesn't appear to break much really new ground.
Even just as an overview of the current state of affairs in many
respects, it is worthwhile to peruse, and I urge you to do so.

Thanks.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google Buzz: http://j.mp/laurenbuzz