[ NNSquad ] Re: [Vint Cerf]: Re: Blocking DNS - 17 Mar 2011 - by Paul Vixie - "COICA and Secure DNS"

The fact is that the Protect IP Act doesn't really get into the details of
DNSSEC which is obscure to even most technically minded folks much less
lawyers.  It is not surprising that the bill didn't discuss how redirections
of DNSSEC are to be handled.  Given that DNSSEC hasn't been widely deployed
yet and the Protect IP Act only affects sites found to be illegal by the
courts, there is time to fix this issue we come to the conclusion that
a secure redirect mechanism needs to be implemented.

If we need secure redirection, the DNSSEC standard needs to accommodate 3rd
party redirection for trusted authorities e.g., US Government.  The
redirected DNSSEC responses would have to be signed by a valid government
certificate and hackers would not be able to perform the same type of
redirection.  And because the government isn't forging the site owner's
certificates, there is no effort to conceal a third party presence which
rules out wiretapping.

George

   [ In other words, provide what amounts to a back-door for
     governments to use to subvert DNSSEC.  This certainly would be in
     line with other professed sensibilities of our government, which
     has made it clear that it wants to be able to decrypt any
     communications on demand.  The hypocrisy of this mindset is
     immense.  We're out in the world making noises about giving
     people in other countries tools to bypass censorship,
     surveillance, and other Internet controls imposed by leaders who
     we consider to be enemies.

     But at the same time, we're proposing the same sort of control
     and suveillance capabilities here, not only on ostensible
     national security grounds, but to supposedly help protect the
     profit centers of Disney, et al. from a claimed vast finanical
     threat that in reality can't even be *realistically* quantified.
     And remember, any time we build such government access and
     control mechanisms into our infrastructure, they become available
     not just to government today, but to future governments as well,
     whether we like them or not.

     Of course, whatever "moral authority" we ever had to make
     pronouncements about how other governments shouldn't tamper with
     the Internet goes right out the window when our own government is
     hell-bent on the same sort of tampering.  We will say that our
     motives are pure.  Surprise, "our enemies" feel the same way and
     will make the same proclamations.

     It's lose-lose all the way around.