[ NNSquad ] Re: NNSquad ] Project seeks to develop "a la carte" Internet

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time and in so many dimensions of wrongness.

I still can't get ANY copper/coax/fiber connection to my neighborhood in Saratoga, CA, only $100/month wireless with a Cap.

An internet connection is best when its a dumb fat pipe. The fatter the better, with as few kinks in between as possible.

Putting differentiated services at the transport level is just putting in lots of kinks.

We should be worrying about getting fiber to as many homes and businesses as possible before anyone thinks about putting infinite toll booths.

This idea is like saying were going to have differentiated water service. You can get drinking water, seltzer, sparkling water, rose water, or glacial melt all over the same lead pipes.

On Oct 18, 2011, at 7:33 PM, NNSquad - Network Neutrality Squad wrote:

> Project seeks to develop "a la carte" Internet connection services
>
> http://j.mp/oDke61  (UMass)
>
>   "What if you could choose an ISP in your area with a button on your
>    desktop and you could pay for only the time you used each one?" says
>    Naguney. "To watch a movie with the fastest service for high-quality
>    streaming, you buy it for two hours and move on. For checking your
>    e-mail later, you take the lower-priced product that offers higher
>    security, a secure server with the latest anti-virus software. That's
>    the sort of choice and flexibility we're talking about.""
Robert J Berger
+1 408-838-8896
http://blog.ibd.com