[ NNSquad ] YouTube rejects UMG demand - Megaupload Mega Song returns

YouTube rejects UMG demand - Megaupload Mega Song returns
http://j.mp/sTdXEE  (This message on Google+)

 - - -

In our last installment of "How to Wreck the Internet," I noted the
continuing battle of takedowns by Universal Music Group related to
the "Megaupload Mega Song" ( http://j.mp/s1pqmU [YouTube] - RESTORED).

When we left the busy UMG legal team, they were claiming that their
takedowns of the video from YouTube were not necessarily DMCA-related
copyright issues per se, but rather were tied to "other contractual
arrangements" with Google/YouTube - http://j.mp/uy1Fgp (ars technica).

Google has now responded, saying: "Our partners do not have the right
to take down videos from YT unless they own the rights to them or they
are live performances controlled through exclusive agreements with
their artists, which is why we reinstated it." -
http://j.mp/svcKMl  (WebProNews)

And indeed, the video, now with over 2M views (the "Streisand Effect"
strikes again!) is back up at the link noted above.

Leaving aside all the technical reasons why SOPA would be devastating
to Internet security, reliability, and connectivity, this UMG case
also demonstrates the sheer lunancy of the SOPA approach.

Unlike in this case where a single video was involved, SOPA creates the
ability to kill entire domains based on similar arbitrary and flawed
claims, and in its current form at least, doesn't even include the basic
counter-notice provisions of DMCA.

UMG should perhaps be thanked for unwittingly providing this anti-SOPA
object lesson at this critical time.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren