[ NNSquad ] Rick Santorum's "Google Problem" back in the spotlight

Rick Santorum's "Google Problem" back in the spotlight

Since I discussed this issue in some depth back in late September
( Santorum, Google, and Colbert - http://j.mp/qU6v8K [Lauren's Blog] ),
I don't really want to spend a lot of time on it again now, but I
thought it worth noting that with Rick Santorum's sudden (but likely
short-lived) rise in the GOP presidential nomination circus, I've been
getting a bunch of notes and some calls asking about the continuing
Santorum search results controversy.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing of significance has changed.
Santorum's site is ranking lower than the "protest" site in question
(for most searchers anyway, it seems) for purely organic reasons.

New demands that Google should "special case" in this instance, or that
the owner of the protest site should be required to take it down, should
all be rejected.

One other thing.  I got a note speculating that the protest site
operator should be sued for "libeling" Santorum.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see how libel could possibly apply in
this case.  The U.S. at least has a long history of political satire,
just take a look at some of the really, seriously "nasty" political
cartoons and drawings that go back to the dawn of the country!

The protest site in question is not suggesting that Rick Santorum is
a child molester, crushes kittens, or would want to ban contraception.
(And in fact, of these three, only the last one is true.)

The best way for Santorum to have the top ranked natural search result
for his name is to have a better site.  Of course, too much effort on
this might be something of a waste, given that Santorum is not going
to be the GOP nominee under any circumstances.

Interesting times.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren