[ NNSquad ] Bivio announces DPI product combining Big Data with Big Brother?

Bivio announces DPI product combining Big Data with Big Brother?

http://j.mp/xm2g9B  (This message on Google+)

 - - -

http://j.mp/ArsBJ2  (Bivio)

    "NetFalcon combines Big Data and Deep Packet Inspection technologies
    to provide unprecedented long-term analysis of large scale network
    activity," said Dr. Elan Amir, CEO and president of Bivio Networks.
    "Bringing NetFalcon to the enterprise market provides corporate IT
    security professionals with an unmatched ability to collect, store,
    and analyze network activity essential to a comprehensive cyber
    security strategy."

 - - -

I find this sort of product positioning to be problematic and more
than a little alarming.

As noted in my DWEL (Data Wisdom Explorers League - http://www.dwel.org )
project issues discussions, "Big Data" holds enormous promise for positive
benefits to society.

But the ways in which data collection and use may be abused are also
of concern (how to best reach the benefits of Big Data without such
abuses is a primary focus of DWEL).

While there could certainly be legitimate applications for the Bivio
product, my gut reaction is that the "Big Data" label is being applied
by Bivio largely as an excuse to promote massive "surreptitious" Deep
Packet Inspection (DPI) long-term data retention.  Their announcement
almost reeks of the "cybersecurity" flag waving being used as an excuse
for abusive (as opposed to justifiable) data retention practices.

It has that "FBI Carnivore" feel to it -- at least to me.

I'd be interested in your interpretations and reactions.  Thanks.