[ NNSquad ] Re: Cisco Eyes Software Network Revolution

Geesh. No: the distinction between data and control is already in the
original TCP/IP protocol -- with control manifest in the form of a TOS
field nobody could really figure out what to do with (until the
*Inter*net became an IncumbentNet), and the TCP algorithms.

All that's new here is programming control algorithms for individual
routers.  There's no gain in openness here, when the control
algorithms they decide to do can only work across routers that agree
to do the same thing: that is, inside one network.  Let them try to
come up with something more than Internet2 was able to come up with,
but we can't hope for that so long as we still have an IncumbentNet.

It's misleading to call this open -- if that's taken to mean more open
than what we already have as far as the abstract protocols we
developed by general consensus.  This just lets network providers
experiment, not end users.  It's more for network providers to develop
specialized services than for providing the general purpose platform
for end users, across independent networks, that we got in 1977 when
they separated data from control by splitting the IP layer from TCP.
(Or, to consider recent revelations by Auerbach and Cerf, they came up
with a packet layer in secret NSA research in 1975.  This is not
mentioning Pouzin, etc.)

Seth Johnson