[ NNSquad ] Web freedom faces greatest threat ever, warns Google's Sergey Brin

Web freedom faces greatest threat ever, warns Google's Sergey Brin

http://j.mp/IJN8Z1  (Guardian)

   "The principles of openness and universal access that underpinned the
    creation of the internet three decades ago are under greater threat
    than ever, according to Google co-founder Sergey Brin.  In an
    interview with the Guardian, Brin warned that there were "very
    powerful forces that have lined up against the open internet on all
    sides and around the world. I am more worried than I have been in the
    past it's scary."  He said the threat to the freedom of the internet
    came from a combination of governments increasingly trying to control
    access and communication by their citizens, the entertainment industry
    attempting to crack down on piracy, and the rise of "restrictive"
    so-called walled gardens such as Facebook and Apple, which tightly
    controlled what software could be released on their platforms."

 - - -

I agree 100% with Sergey.  And regardless of how you personally feel
about Google, to try deny the truth of his remarks is beyond foolish.