[ NNSquad ] Oracle and the End of Programming As We Know It

Oracle and the End of Programming As We Know It

http://j.mp/IjJcsp  (Dr. Dobbs)

   "In a nutshell, if the jury sides with Oracle that the copyrights in
    the headers of every file of the Java source base apply specifically
    to the syntax of the APIs, then Oracle can extract payment and
    penalties from Google for having implemented those APIs without
    Oracle's blessing (or, in more specific terms, without a license).
    Should this come to pass, numerous products will suddenly find
    themselves on an uncertain legal standing in which the previously
    benign but now newly empowered copyright holders might assert punitive
    copyright claims. Chief among these would be any re-implementation of
    an existing language. So, Jython, IronPython, and PyPy for Python;
    JRuby, IronRuby, and Rubinius for Ruby; Mono for C# and VB; possibly
    C++ for C, GCC for C and C++ and Objective-C; and so forth. And of
    course, all the various browsers that use JavaScript might owe
    royalties to the acquirers of Netscape's intellectual property."