[ NNSquad ] Claims that UK government wants to decrypt all Internet traffic via "black boxes"

Claims that UK government wants to decrypt all Internet traffic via "black boxes"

http://j.mp/MLP5Bn  (Channel 4)

   "Internet and phone firms are preparing to install "black boxes" to
    monitor UK internet and phone traffic, and decode encrypted messages -
    including Facebook and GMail messages."

 - - -

My immediate impression is that this story flags my "they don't know
what they're talking about" alarm.  However, speaking theoretically,
any attack by the UK government on the PKI on such a scale would not
only be notably complex, but endure immense blowback and relatively
easily implemented workarounds.  I can't even begin to emphasize the
degree.  And Google would seem unlikely to play along with such a
scheme quietly.