[ NNSquad ] Dan Gillmor: Don't believe the Skype: it may not be as private as you might think

Dan Gillmor: Don't believe the Skype: it may not be as private as you might think

http://j.mp/OnbREn  (Guardian)

   "When Skype became popular just under a decade ago, I repeatedly asked
    the company a question that I considered crucial. The online calling
    and messaging service encrypted users' communications, and it was
    based outside the United States. But the encryption methods were kept
    secret, so outside researchers couldn't verify their quality - a
    technique that experts in the field sometimes deride as "security
    through obscurity" - and I wanted to know whether Skype had a software
    backdoor that it or anyone else could use to listen into users' calls."