[ NNSquad ] Google adds DMCA notices to search ranking signals

Google adds DMCA notices to search ranking signals

http://j.mp/O96VAx  (Google Inside Search)

   "Starting next week, we will begin taking into account a new signal in
    our rankings: the number of valid copyright removal notices we receive
    for any given site. Sites with high numbers of removal notices may
    appear lower in our results. This ranking change should help users
    find legitimate, quality sources of content more easily-whether it's a
    song previewed on NPR's music website, a TV show on Hulu or new music
    streamed from Spotify."

 - - -

Since the existing dispute mechanism is honored, I don't see an
obvious problem with this, absent evidence of future associated abuses
by DMCA filers.  It seems appropriate (in most typical cases) that
sites offering legit content should be viewed more favorably than
sites with significant numbers of confirmed, valid DMCA takedowns.