[ NNSquad ] FCC to buy out TV broadcasters to free up mobile spectrum

FCC to buy out TV broadcasters to free up mobile spectrum

http://j.mp/Ou2iVD  (ars technica)

  "The plan has three phases. In the first phase, the FCC will conduct a
   reverse auction in which it asks broadcasters to tell the FCC how much
   it would take for the agency to buy them out. Presumably, the least
   popular (and, therefore, least profitable) channels will submit the
   lowest bids. By accepting these low bids, the FCC can free up the
   maximum possible spectrum at the minimum cost.  Second, the FCC will
   re-arrange the remaining broadcasters so they're clustered together in
   the electromagnetic spectrum. That will free up contiguous blocks of
   spectrum that can be put to alternative uses."

 - - -

Notice there's no ringing endorsement from the NAB.  The broadcasters
know that once they give up spectrum they can never get it back, and
it will only grow more valuable with time.  Plus, moving your stations
around the spectrum can be costly in various ways.  My gut feeling is
that these auctions are not going to generate anywhere near the
participation that the FCC is dreaming of.  We shall see.