Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 06:13:31 -0400
From: Seth Johnson <seth.p.johnson@GMAIL.COM>
Subject: [WCIT] ISOC comments for WCIT
To: WCIT@LMLIST.STATE.GOV

ISOC has articulated their position:
http://www.internetsociety.org/doc/WCITSubmissionOctober2012

[. . .]

Some have questioned whether the modern Internet is sustainable in
light of ever-increasing demands for new data intensive services,
whether there remain sufficient incentives for further investment, and
assuming the negative, wonder whether the WCIT provides an opportunity
to address these challenges through regulation.  There have been
assertions that new global regulations are needed in order to preserve
the revenue streams for some players and to prevent an impending
collapse of the global Internet.  These are not new claims.  Indeed,
fears about the sustainability of the Internet have come and gone over
the history of the Internet as market forces bring about new kinds of
investments, pioneering technologies, and innovative business models.
It is the very nature of the Internet – a distributed and open network
of networks – that enables this kind of innovation and evolution.
Indeed, as a recent report by the OECD on Internet traffic exchange
concludes, “the Internet model of traffic exchange has produced low
prices, promoted efficiency and innovation, and attracted the
investment necessary to keep pace with demand”  [OECD]. The last thing
governments should do is lock-in a regulatory approach that may have
significant and unpredictable negative consequences for the ability of
networks to evolve, for new services to come about, for new businesses
to be formed worldwide.

In short, the Internet Society does not believe that a new
treaty-based global regulatory approach that seeks to regulate how IP
networks are managed, to alter network architecture, and/or to
determine how commercial agreements between network operators should
be conducted is good for the long term prospects of a global, open
Internet that benefits everyone [ISOC - Interconnection].  Rather,
policymakers should focus on policy approaches that have clearly
worked to enable the growth in communications to date – competitive
markets, liberalization, reliance on open standards, support for the
free flow of information, and multistakeholder dialogue.

Internet Society Perspectives

While we think that there may be opportunities for useful revisions to
the ITRs to reflect changes in the international telecommunications
sector since 1988, we have deep concerns that some of the proposals to
the WCIT would have serious negative implications for the global
Internet. In our view, it is impossible to draw analogies between the
traditional Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) and the Internet
because the basic concepts, architecture, and operation are very
different. The current ITRs were produced with the PSTN in mind. By
explicitly or implicitly extending some of the current articles and
related approaches to cover the Internet, and, using seemingly similar
terms and concepts, there is a great danger of misinterpretation and
confusion.

In this regard, we have identified a number of proposals that we
believe could undermine the security, stability, and innovative
potential of networks worldwide.  Yet there are also some proposals
and updates to the treaty that we believe could enable growth and
support continued innovation.  Below, we outline the Internet
Society’s position on several key proposals that have been submitted
to date.  This list is not inclusive of all proposals on which the
Internet Society may have views.

[. . .]