[ NNSquad ] Adobe's Massive and Bizarre Free Software Giveaway! (Or Not ...)

Adobe's Massive and Bizarre Free Software Giveaway! (Or Not ...)

http://j.mp/UH8xIJ  (This message on Google+)

Adobe has long been known for higher-end software applications for
both Windows and Mac systems.  They're usually excellent, though
pricey and typically encumbered with complicated DRM anti-piracy
protections that can make migrating to new hardware (or even changed
hardware configurations) a considerable hassle.

So eyebrows have been raised by the appearance of an official Adobe
page offering both downloads of virtually all of their CS2-level
product packages -- including originally very expensive packages like
Photoshop, Premiere, Creative Suite, and many more -- but also
standalone installation serial numbers for all of these packages,
including both Windows and Mac versions.

CS2 dates from around 2005 (Adobe is currently at CS6) but as the
registered owner of several Adobe products from the CS2 era and a bit
before, I can attest to the fact that these are still excellent
packages that will usually run fine in recent OS versions such as
Windows 7.

And since the versions placed for download on the mysterious Adobe
page appear not to include the usual onerous DRM/activation functions,
they are even easier to install.

Why has Adobe done this?  An early comment attributed to Adobe was
that this was for previous buyers of the products who might need to
activate after Adobe retired their CS2 activation servers -- but why
include the entire downloads as well, completely accessible?

Another theory is that this is a rather brilliant plan to get folks
hooked on these older packages, so that they'll want to buy the newer
versions.

I don't know the answer at this point.  But I do know that at least at
the moment I'm typing this, the page is still accessible, the
downloads are available, and reportedly the serial numbers and
installations all work.

The page is at:

http://j.mp/VCX7RT  (Adobe)