[ NNSquad ] Vint Cerf: Internet competition has "evaporated" since dial-up

Vint Cerf: Internet competition has "evaporated" since dial-up

http://j.mp/UHjmdI  (ars techncia)

    "I'm not allowed to use foul language, right?  My first observation is
     that it is vital that we maintain openness and neutral access to the
     Internet's capabilities The fact that you can carry voice over the
     Internet is almost incidental to the fact that you can carry any
     digital content over the Internet. I would not wish to see the
     question of regulation turn on the notion that Voice over IP is PSTN
     or is a replacement for PSTN. It is a replacement for almost
     everything we can do, all of the old network functions can be done on
     the Internet."

 - - -

Vint is correct, of course.  Clearly, it is technically possible to
design systems that will use VoIP for reliable basic telephone
services.  However, what we see happening with the AT&T and "all IP by
2018" crowd is an attempt to use a conversion to an IP-based telephone
network model as an excuse to decimate crucial telephony regulatory
functions related to services compatibility, competition,
accessibility, reliability, capacity, pricing, safety, standards, and
an array of other areas.  Can we depend on AT&T and its ilk to follow
through on all of these functions without a rigorous regulatory
regime?  History decisively says NO.  In fact, history says, "You
gotta be kidding me!"