[ NNSquad ] Vint Cerf: "Freedom and the Social Contract" (CACM)

Vint Cerf: "Freedom and the Social Contract" (CACM)

http://j.mp/1baPM7r  (Google+)

   "The last several weeks (as of this writing) have been filled with
    disclosures of intelligence practices in the U.S. and elsewhere.
    Edward Snowden's unauthorized release of highly classified information
    has stirred a great deal of debate about national security and the
    means used to preserve it.

    In the midst of all this, I looked to Jean-Jacques Rousseau's
    well-known 18th-century writings on the Social Contract (Du Contrat
    Social, Ou Principes du Droit Politique) for insight. Distilled and
    interpreted through my perspective, I took away several notions. One
    is that in a society, to achieve a degree of safety and stability, we
    as individuals give up some absolute freedom of action to what
    Rousseau called the sovereign will of the people. He did not equate
    this to government, which he argued was distinct and derived its power
    from the sovereign people ..."

Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein