[ NNSquad ] AT&T promises big fiber expansion, but only if feds let it buy DirecTV

AT&T promises big fiber expansion, but only if feds let it buy
DirecTV

(Ars Technica): http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/06/att-promises-big-fiber-expansion-but-only-if-feds-let-it-buy-directv/

    AT&T's filing noted that DirecTV does not offer a broadband
    service.  The wireless Internet and TV bundles AT&T plans for
    after the DirecTV merger would apparently rely on LTE for
    broadband and satellite for video. "We expect fixed wireless
    broadband to provide speeds of 10-15 Mbps during peak periods with
    even higher maximum speeds during off peak times," AT&T said.
    It's not really an expansion of AT&T's fixed wireless plans, since
    AT&T already offers home Internet service over its cellular
    network. Back in 2012, AT&T said that "99 percent of customer
    locations in wireline service area[s] [are] expected to have
    high-speed IP Internet access via IP wireline and/or 4G LTE" by
    the end of 2014."

 - - -

Wow! 10-15 Mbps! Someday we'll have broadband almost as good as
Estonia's!  Why would *anybody* believe *anything* AT&T says
about broadband deployment, given all their lies?

Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein