[ NNSquad ] No-IP's Formal Statement on Microsoft Takedown

No-IP's Formal Statement on Microsoft Takedown

https://www.noip.com/blog/2014/06/30/ips-formal-statement-microsoft-takedown/

     We want to update all our loyal customers about the service outages
     that many of you are experiencing today. It is not a technical issue.
     This morning, Microsoft served a federal court order and seized 22 of
     our most commonly used domains because they claimed that some of the
     subdomains have been abused by creators of malware. We were very
     surprised by this. We have a long history of proactively working with
     other companies when cases of alleged malicious activity have been
     reported to us. Unfortunately, Microsoft never contacted us or asked
     us to block any subdomains, even though we have an open line of
     communication with Microsoft corporate executives.

     We have been in contact with Microsoft today. They claim that their
     intent is to only filter out the known bad hostnames in each seized
     domain, while continuing to allow the good hostnames to resolve.
     However, this is not happening. Apparently, the Microsoft
     infrastructure is not able to handle the billions of queries from our
     customers. Millions of innocent users are experiencing outages to
     their services because of Microsofts attempt to remediate hostnames
     associated with a few bad actors.

     Had Microsoft contacted us, we could and would have taken
     immediate action. Microsoft now claims that it just wants to get
     us to clean up our act, but its draconian actions have affected
     millions of innocent Internet users.

 - - -

Nice work Microsoft. With friends like you, innocent customers don't
need enemies. Maybe some infrastructure planning next time before
you go running off to the courts to take over domains? Hmm?

I am a consultant to Google -- I speak only for myself, not for them.
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein