[ NNSquad ] Behind the scenes with Google Fiber: Working with content providers to minimize buffering

Behind the scenes with Google Fiber: Working with content providers to
minimize buffering

(Google): http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/2014/05/minimizing-buffering.html

   "So that your video doesn't get caught up in this possible congestion,
    we invite content providers to hook up their networks directly to
    ours.  This is called 'peering' and it gives you a more direct
    connection to the content that you want.  We have also worked with
    services like Netflix so that they can colocate their equipment in our
    Fiber facilities. What does that mean for you?  Usually, when you go
    to Netflix and click on the video that you want to watch, your request
    needs to travel to and from the closest Netflix data center, which
    might be a roundtrip of hundreds or thousands of miles. Instead,
    Netflix has placed their own servers within our facilities (in the
    same place where we keep our own video-on-demand content). Because the
    servers are closer to where you live, your content will get to you
    faster and should be a higher quality."

I am a consultant to Google -- I speak only for myself, not for them.
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein