[ NNSquad ] Re: How do I detect connection disruption by my IAP?

People who want to monitor cable modem networks with Wireshark or
similar Ethernet capture tools should be aware of the limitations. On
cable modem networks, upstream and downstream use different RF channels,
and the cable modem itself is not capable of receiving upstream data.
Hence, the only data you will see on the Ethernet side of a cable modem
is downstream traffic and the immediate client's attempted upstream
traffic (which may or may not be transmitted on the cable modem
network.) Hence, it's impossible to say with certainty how busy the
upstream side is at any given time. This means, for example, that any
claims about the load on the Comcast network's upstream side during
periods of upstream traffic shaping are total speculation. Of course,
you can guess about the upstream traffic based on the number of ACKs you
see on the downstream side, but dropped packets are hard to detect.

There are ways to monitor the upstream side of a cable modem on the RF
side, of course, but they require specialized equipment.

RB

Fred Reimer wrote:
> You can download WireShark at www.wireshare.org for a packet
> capture and analysis program.  You'd need to know a bit about
> TCP/IP in order to make good use of it, but you can search for
> TCP packets with the RST bit set.  That would be a "forced"
> close.  You CAN get them from some valid destinations, but they
> should be rare, and should only happen at the end of a connection
> anyway.  A normal closure would be the use of the FIN flags.
>
> Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS
> Senior Network Engineer
> Coleman Technologies, Inc.
> 954-298-1697

Richard Bennett

<head>
</head>
[...]
detect.<br>
There are ways to monitor the upstream side of a cable modem on the RF
side, of course, but they require specialized equipment.<br>
RB<br>
Fred Reimer wrote:
 cite="mid98B7739FB65BF04F9B3233AB842EEC950143E72E@EXCHANGE.ctiusa.com"
 type="cite">
[...]