[ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast using Sandvine to Interfere with P2P

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 09:04:13AM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> I have an absolute right to prevent my network from being abused and
> to enforce my (very reasonable) terms of service.

I don't think anyone is arguing over that here, unless I missed some
parts of those threads (I'm new here ;).

The issue is abuse, indeed, and the likes of Verizon, Comcast and Telus
have stepped way out of their terms of service. They are abusing the
confidence their consumers/users have been putting into them and because
of the oligopoly they hold over their sector, the users often have
nowhere else to turn to.

If they would provide actual QoS service (actually priorizing VoIP
traffic over Bittorrent, instead of mindlessly throttling the latter),
I'm fairly sure the uproar would cease or at least shift.

But right now, there's a conflict of interest in those big companies
that needs to be recognized and dealt with.

--
feature, n: a documented bug | bug, n: an undocumented feature
                        - Mario S F Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>