[ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast using Sandvine to Interfere with P2P

I am curious about Comcast injecting their own reset packets to sever
a TCP connection. If a packet is seen as a communication between two
parties, would Comcast be breaking any laws by subverting
communication between two parties? An example I can think of is the
postal service opening up packages, envelopes, etc and determining
whether they will continue delivering the parcel or return the parcel.
The USPS is a pseudo-govermental entity that might have been given
that prerogative by the people, but I do not think that an ISP has the
right to use discretion when it inspects packets that it is not the
intended party.

On a related note, does copyright protect packets since the sending
machine is the author of the bits in the packet? Is there some sort of
DMCA/DRM =P solution to this since Comcast is inspecting packets for
the type of traffic it represents? If they were not inspecting
packets, then they could not make a decision as to what to do with any
packet.

Dan