[ NNSquad ] Re: [OT?] NN definition(s?)

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Vint Cerf wrote:

> brett et al,
>
> it is not obvious that bit torrent is inimical to economics - it is
> actually quite an efficient protocol. One might argue, however, that
> absent natural back-off/sharing properties of TCP, bit Torrent
> protocols may need some for of external "discipline" to place limits
> on the aggregate capacity allocated to any one user of a shared
> resource. there might still need to be some way to limit the fraction
> of the flow allocated to any single user.

The ability to throttle overall upload capactity use (total 30KB/s
cumulative upload for example) or throttle on a per remote client basis
(6KB/s upload for each remote client) is actually implemented in many
client applications already.  I am not sure of the capability to throttle
a given connecting client, but that is not too difficult, it would appear.

Scott