[ NNSquad ] Re: Neutrality in Perspective

On Nov 13, 2007 3:08 PM, Joshua Smith <juicewvu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe the ISP should not block ports just because they could be
> used for something "bad".  It should be up to the consumer to protect
> their own PC/network.  I believe the ISP should reserve the right to
> suspend a customers connection if it is deemed that there computer is
> spewing spam or other "bad" traffic.

I definitely agree with this.  However, the world is far from perfect.
 For every one person that is willing to take the responsibility to
protect themselves, there are probably 100 more that either don't
care, or don't know how.  If we merely proceed with shutting down
those who violate our policies concerning spam and "bad" traffic, then
we end up upsetting more customers in the long run.

The unfortunate fact is that if I block the traffic from the start, I
upset a single customer.  If I block nothing and suspend users based
on spam and bad traffic, then I run into the possibility of upsetting
100 customers.  Not to mention the man hours required to deal with
suspending those customers, dealing with the angry phone calls, and
the marketing required to try to replace those customers that leave in
disgust.

Personally, I'd rather have that one customer as opposed to the 100
others that don't care, but there are more "ignorant" customers than
there are "smart" ones.  And because of this, the latter suffers and
has to pay premiums for service he should be getting by default.

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
XenoPhage0@gmail.com