[ NNSquad ] Re: Neutrality in Perspective

On 11/13/07, Jason Frisvold <xenophage0@gmail.com> wrote:
> But what constitutes acceptable blocking?  For instance, BCP38
> filtering is used at the edge of the ISP network.  That seems an
> acceptable case since it's traffic that, in theory, should never be
> seen on the Internet at large.

The above is an excellent example, and as bcp38 is published, one
could make the argument that all users of the internet should expect
that their ISP and its peers probably employ such filtering in both
directions.

> Further in, port 25 is blocked, as
> well as some well-known virii exploit ports such as Netbios.

The above is an example of what Lauren was talking about -- making
such blocks available for "opt out" might be one acceptable way to
handle this.  WRT Netbios, I might want to contribute to a honeypot
project -- but my ISP blocks it.

As time goes on, network connections have unfortunately become less
and less neutral due to protective measures like permanently blocking
port 25 and incoming port 80.  These encroachments have not concerned
most of the user base, who either find them acceptable or do not care.
Blocking ports 80 or 25 is a common complaint on DSLReports -- clearly
some percentage of the end-users DO care about this.

The encroachments on NN have continued beyond the security motive
(e.g. Comcast and Sandvine, Verizon and DNS, and etc.). Left
unchecked, such intrusions will continue (e.g.  AT&T announcement re
copyright infringement), resulting in interference with the expected
operation of the user's Internet service.

This is becoming the "DRM" of the Internet: somebody else, often
surreptitiously, is interfering with the way that the network should
operate.  When does a CD stop being a CD?  When it is infected with
DRM.  When does Internet Access stop being Internet Access?

--Robb Topolski