From: Robb Topolski [mailto:robb@funchords.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2007 22:13
To: Bob Frankston
Cc: Brett Glass; Phil Karn; nnsquad@nnsquad.org
Subject: Re: [ NNSquad ] Re: EVDO Observation

On 11/18/07, Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501@bobf.frankston.com> wrote:
> I don't know if this is relevant to this list or should be a side
discussion
> but we shouldn't assume that "bits per second" is the only measure. Within
> my home I "subscribe" to a copper wire and can run it as fast as I can.
>
> Are we just measuring service provider promises or can we measure against
> available facilities and view arbitrary caps on the use of the facilities
> akin to creating measures like "minutes" which are purely accounting
> fictions over IP?

Here is an example where bps over a minute is treated differently than
bps over a month:

Users who transfer something above an unknown amount (believed to be
200-300 GB/mo.) get a warning call from Comcast's Abuse department for
"excessive usage."  Users who violate the unknown cap again are
suspended from the service for 12 months.

What this pencils out to is that users who subscribe to Comcast's 6
Mbps tier can exceed the "Invisi-Cap" even if they limit their usage
to 25% of that amount.

There are no pre-purchase or Terms-of-Service descriptions that
clearly describe this behavior. Comcast takes this action based on a
clause in their TOS that says that they prohibit use that "restrict,
inhibit, interfere with, or otherwise disrupt or cause a performance
degradation, regardless of intent, purpose or knowledge, to the
Service or any Comcast (or Comcast supplier) host, server, backbone
network, node or service, or otherwise cause a performance degradation
to any Comcast (or Comcast supplier) facilities used to deliver the
Service."  (Apparently simply using the service is akin to a
Denial-of-Service attack.)

--
Robb Topolski (robb@funchords.com)
Hillsboro, Oregon USA