[ NNSquad ] Re: Rights of network providers

At 07:25 PM 2/15/2008, Kevin McArthur wrote:

>Brett,
>
>Your network is only as privately owned as the ground and airwaves it operates on.

Not so. Just as my car is still my car even though I can drive it down a
public street, my equipment is still my equipment. The fact that it can
transmit signals on unlicensed spectrum -- or, for that matter, even if it
were to do so on licensed spectrum -- doesn't change that.

>The public has a right to enforce their collective property rights,

Neither you nor anyone else has a "collective proprty right" in my car or my
network.

Folks who want to mess with other people's property frequently try to use the
guns and power of the government to do it. What's scary is that the people who
are calling for it are the very ones who should know better. Government
regulation of the Internet is about the worst thing that could happen to it.

--Brett Glass

     [ OK gang, I think that Brett has made his position crystal clear.  And
       speaking of bandwidth, we won't use any more right now on the topic
       of Brett and his asserted property rights vis-a-vis the regulatory
       regimes that most people and businesses live with.  This thread is
       (mercifully) closed.