[ NNSquad ] Re: As predicted: The BitTorrent vs. "traffic shaping" arms race

Buggered If I care about HTTP to the point of wanting it interfering with Bittorrent downloads OR ANY OTHER application  I choose to use my bandwidth for. My choice of provider hinges on who gave me the best upstream/downstream rates AND the best total bandwidth. I pay based on that choice and that was how it was sold to me.

Now I find that I can no longer use the bandwidth that the ISP agreed to provide me with unless I use it in a manner they dictate.

For me the whole issue is that ISP's are overselling more than they can provide in the hopes that users won't use all of what they pay for and when they find that users finding ways of using all the bandwidth they pay for they interfere with it.

AFAIAC - the proper solution is for providers to manage the AMOUNT of data, not the TYPE of data - If I pay for 50 gig a month I should get 50 gig a month. If it forces the ISP's to be honest then all the better - You can't sell 1 car to 2 seperate people hoping that only one of them would be using it at a time and charging each of them for one car (or a portion of one) without telling them what it is they are buying.