[ NNSquad ] Google and ISPs

------- Forwarded Message

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com>
To: Brett Glass <nnsquad@brettglass.com>
cc: Barry Gold <bgold@matrix-consultants.com>
Subject: Re: [ NNSquad ] Re: FCC paths to Internet network management? (from IP)
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:25:36 -0800

Golly, I didn't realize that you were such an expert on Google, Brett.

And your certainty about so many complex issues, from your own
rights vs. the powers of regulators, to how courts will rule on
complicated technical issues, is sort of refreshing in a
bible-thumping kind of way.

But your own analysis notwithstanding, both Google's public
statements and my own sources suggested strongly that Google was
"not amused" by the Rogers message insertion experiments (experiments
which I originally revealed last December in:
http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000337.html ).  Other unofficial
statements implied that they hoped ISPs would decide not to proceed
with broad deployment of such systems, which could render the need
for legal action moot.

But if ISPs plow forward anyway, Google's actions in this regard
will be theirs to determine -- not yours, or mine.  I will however
offer two free truisms:

1) Some of the smartest people I've ever known are now at Google.
   It's unwise in the extreme to *ever* underestimate Google.

2) Google is very protective of their brand -- as I would be if
   I were in their position.  But that being said, anybody outside
   of Google who really believes that they have such a handle on
   Google's strategic planning that they can predict Google's future
   actions with any degree of certainty is a fool.

- --Lauren--

------- End of Forwarded Message