[ NNSquad ] EU Parliament treating Internet censorship as trade barrier

Well, it seems that I have predictive abilities...  See this article:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080227-eu-may-begin-treating-net-censorship-as-a-trade-barrier.html

"The European Parliament recently passed a proposal to treat Internet
censorship by repressive regimes as a trade barrier. The proposal, submitted
by Jules Maaten of the rightist Dutch VVD party, passed on a 571-38 vote.
Maaten describes it as an "unusual, but effective way" to promote freedom of
expression on the Internet."

It wasn't really predictive, as the original article seems to source from
http://www.livre.nl/nieuws/internet/ep-internetcensuur-is-internationale-handelsbarriere-21022008.html (presumably in Dutch) on the 21st, so instead it
may be an occasion of "great minds think alike."

So perhaps this is the beginning of a "framework for resolving disputes like
these [issues]."  Whether this will be enforced or effective is something I
will not attempt to predict...

Thanks,

Fred Reimer

P.S. Lauren, feel free to trim the quoted thread and change the topic if you
wish.